We’ve all been there. We’ve liked a post on Facebook (say a Honda car commercial) and the next day had multiple ads for the same product show up on a completely unrelated page. So how are companies able to receive this data and then use it to better target the consumer? An article on Technologyreview.com this week explains how certain tech companies are turning consumer data into ‘actionable insights.’ ‘Today, big-data computer systems and software are increasingly being built on an innovative, collaborative open-source foundation. In fact, 170 technology companies, many of which compete with each other, have formed a consortium to provide some of the technologies needed to fuel big-data analytics. The new organization, the OpenPOWER Foundation, allows these companies to collaborate in an open ecosystem.’ So essentially, with OpenPOWER, companies such as IBM, NVID, and Mellanox can join forces and share data in a collaborative environment. The article also notes that we can expect to continue seeing businesses and hotels using our habits and analyzing them to better market to us. Read the article here.
In a compelling article on Business Insider, interesting statistics on consumer behavior related to TV consumption is revealed. According to a report put out by Cox Consumer Insights, only 28% of consumers watch live television. In other words, the other 72% are streaming and or using services like on-demand or a DVR. ‘Cox attributes this to the ‘growing popularity of Hulu Plus,’ but also says that 53% of the time-shifted TV ‘ people watching content that isn’t live ‘ was from DVR and on-demand offerings.’ I found these statistics to be extremely interested, though not too surprising. The shift in media toward ‘on-the-go’ technologies that allow you to be mobile while enjoying your favorite shows is ubiquitous in our day and age. From Netflix to On-Demand, people everywhere have the ability to access TV shows from various locations; that is, not strictly tied to the living room. I find this to be a fascinating trend and an important one to watch as technology progresses. Find the whole article here.
Social media is all around us these days. For someone whose life and work it is to utilize these tools this is excellent news! So when I came across a Fast Company article that explains 5 of the top trends that will revolutionize the way companies interact with social media in the year of 2016, obviously I couldn’t resist writing about it. The first trend listed is the fact that social media is starting to ‘storm the workplace’and replacing out platforms such as outlook emails. ‘Slack has proven a game-changer. Its intuitive interface, built around themed chat rooms and searchable archives, has propelled it to more than 1.25 million active business users in just two years’ time, from the team at NASA to the team at your local coffee shop.’ The second trend is that now more than ever companies are turning to their own employees for more social media amplification. In this way, employees are encouraged to share updates about the business on their personal platforms. Number 3 is that companies are starting to research into the impact of social messaging. ‘All the major social platforms now have messaging components, and it’s only a matter of time before they figure out how to make that data available to businesses for marketing purposes.’ The fourth trend is perhaps my favorite because it really rings true. Approaching their last trend, the article lists social media advertising as the fourth tend. Here, they refer to the subtly of ads that essentially get mixed into your news feed rather than on the sides of your page. ‘Haven’t noticed the exponential increase in ads on your social media feeds? That probably means they’re working.’ Lastly, they list social video as being one of the most contagious trends. I definitely agree with this last point as my Facebook, Twitter, and now Instagram feeds are being overrun with short video clips. As always, I highly recommend this article to those of you so inclined to read a little into the way social media is taking off in the workplace.
Nichole Dicharry, is a Digital Marketing Assistant at IIR USA, Marketing and Finance Divisions, who works on various aspects of the industry including social media, marketing analysis and media. She can be reached at Ndicharry@iirusa.com