Stephen Hahn-Griffiths, Chief Strategy Officer, Leo Burnett, presented Using Metaphor Elicitation to Capture the Mood of the Nation at the Market Research Event 2012. While we did a written look-back at the presentation in December here, now we would like to offer the an exclusive opportunity view the full-length session as well.
Stephen suggested there are six meta types of consumers (based on a driving metaphor):
2) Engineers (plan methodically),
3) Lonely Travelers (feel handcuffed),
4) Easy Riders (middle of the road; non materialistic),
5) Dismayed Mechanics (need a jump start; something is missing in their life), and
6) Defensive Drivers (need help/assistance; live pay check to pay check).
He emphasized the need to increase comfort with what a brand stands for, with a focus on participation, motivation, resonance and relevance.
He cited several examples of different approaches companies currently use to increase comfort:
‘ Panera ‘ creating comfort through quality
‘ Zappos ‘ comfort through customer experience
‘ Fidelity ‘ comfort through road to financial future
‘ Kellogg’s/Frosted Flakes ‘ comfort through rituals/nostalgia
‘ Jet Blue ‘ comfort via amenities.
We invite you to sign-up for access to view this complimentary, full-length session here. Bonus: you will also have access to additional 2012 videos and the Market Research Event 2012 Executive Summary when you register.